Tuesday 18 February 2014

Jayne's Corner: Jayne recommends some favorite titles

Following on from my post last month on Jayne's Corner, I thought I would recommend some books I have recently read and enjoyed very much.

Non Fiction 

The  Woodvilles: The Wars of the Roses and England's Most Infamous Family by Susan Higginbotham

This was a very clear, well researched, and easily understandable book about the family of Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV of England. I found I really got to know this very interesting family and very much enjoyed reading their story.


My next choice is Richard III: The Road to Leicester by Amy Licence.

It tells the story of Richard III and how his remains were found under the car park in Leicester. It is easy to understand and the reader can tell the author has researched her facts very well. 

                                                   


Historical Fiction

My first choice is Lionheart by Sharon Penman.

This is such a well-written book and shows the author's usual eye for the detail of the time and her authentic facts. It can take a while to really get into it, but once you do then you are hooked. I am now waiting eagerly for the follow up: A King's Ransom, which should be out in April 2014.


                                               




My next choice is The Stolen Crown by Susan Higginbotham.

This is about Harry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham (friend of Richard III) and Katherine Woodville, his wife. The author has obviously researched her subject very well. The writing flows and makes it easy to read. 

                                                           


I have also just re-read Game of Kings which is the first in the fabulous Lymond series by Dorothy Dunnett.

This tells the story of Scottish nobleman Frances Crawford and his journey in trying to find his heritage and love. It is set in Scotland in the time of Mary Queen of Scots' childhood and is beautifully written and very well researched.The author's love of Scotland clearly shines through the book and the series. 
                                                                 

Regency Romance

My next choice is Douglas, Lord of Heartache by Grace Burrowes.

This is set in Regency England and is number eight in the Lonely Lords series, which is a spin off from her Windham Family books. I fell in love with Douglas when I first met him in the initial book of The Windham Family saga and couldn't wait for him to have his own story told.

Douglas Allen, Viscount Amery, a disillusioned lord with family secrets falls in love with Guinevere Hollister, a widow  who manages one of his  estates. She has  a secret which she will do anything to hold on to.

I love this book and the story held my interest right from the beginning.

                                                                 

My second choice is My Lady Spy by Rebecca King, number three in the Star Elite series. 

This series is about a group of agents in Regency England and the women who tame them. In this book Portia is facing marriage, 
arranged by her father, to a boring staid man much older than herself. She just wants a last adventure before this happens. She stumbles into witnessing a brutal murder and comes across Archie, a member of Star Elite, who saves her and then sets out to protect her. He is not what he seems to be and she is not sure if she can trust him. Their relationship grows despite all of this.

I loved the way this book was written and how the other members of Star Elite helped Archie out. The writing flowed all the way through the novel.     

                                                            


I do hope you have enjoyed reading about my recommendations and may be tempted to read one or more of them.



8 comments:

  1. Nice collection of books, Jayne! You've just fattened up my TBR pile :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your choices, too, Jayne. They are wonderful books! I have read most of them and enjoyed them. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all sound really interesting Jayne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recommendations there Jayne, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great recommendations, and they cover a lot of eras. Now I'm interested to go farther back in English history than the Victorian and Edwardian eras. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete